Federal Government has approved the release of an additional N11.995 billion within the next 72 hours to settle outstanding arrears and allowances owed to health workers across the country, as part of efforts to avert a looming strike and restore industrial harmony in the health sector.

The Ministry of Health and Social Welfare confirmed that the funds are part of the arrears from the 25- and 35% salary review for doctors, nurses, and other professionals under the CONMESS and CONHESS salary structures.

According to the Minister of State for Education, Dr Adekunle Salako, the disbursement follows the directive of President Bola Tinubu to ensure prompt payment of all outstanding benefits to health workers, including members of the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD).

“As of October 30, N21.3 billion has already been moved into the IPPIS account, and payments have commenced. This additional N11.995 billion will be released within 72 hours to cover other arrears, including accoutrement allowances,” the Minister stated.

He said government released N10 billion as part of seven months’ arrears, while another N10.6 billion was paid in September for the 2025 Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF) to all resident doctors nationwide.

To tackle the shortage of manpower caused by brain drain, he said the government approved mass recruitment of health workers, with more than 20,000 professionals employed in 2024 and another 15,000 already cleared for recruitment this year under the Renewed Hope Health Agenda.

Meanwhile, Dr Salako said negotiations still continue between the Ministry and key unions, including the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, JOHESU, and the Nigerian Medical Association.

To strengthen the dialogue process, the Minister disclosed that industrial relations expert, Professor Dafe Otobo will mediate the negotiations and fast-track agreement on key demands, such as salary relativity, allowances, and promotions.

“Discussions are progressing on all the issues raised by the unions, including specialist allowances, salary relativity, and appointment of consultants,” the Minister said.

On the dismissed five doctors at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja, the Minister said three have been offered reinstatement, while the remaining cases are under review by the expert negotiator.

Dr Salako reaffirmed the government’s determination to maintain peace in the health sector and stressed that the welfare and motivation of health workers remain central to the Renewed Hope Health Agenda and the Nigeria Health Sector Renewal Investment Initiative (NHSRII).

“Our health workforce is the bedrock of healthcare reform in Nigeria. Every investment we make is anchored on their well-being and professional fulfillment,” he said.

Earlier in the week, the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors had declared an indefinite strike beginning midnight, Saturday, November 1, following the alleged failure of the Federal Government to meet its outstanding demands despite repeated warnings and deadlines.

 

RN

You May Also Like

Kano Center Provides Free Radiotherapy Treatment Worth N12m

By KHADIJAH ALIYU; Editing by BASIRAT MEMUDU The Kano Cancer Treatment Centre,…

Kebbi Receives NCFRMI Drugs, Tom Brown, RUTF Nutrition Support

The National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons has donated…

KSCHMA Facilitates Urgent Surgery for Patient in Kano

The Kano State Contributory Healthcare Management Agency (KSCHMA), through its Rapid Response…

MamaBase Targets Unregistered Pregnant Women In Kaduna

  By Khadija Kubau The Maternal and Reproductive Health (MRH) Collective has…

FG, EngenderHealth Train KADMAM On FASTR Scorecard

    The Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, in collaboration…

Zamfara Veterinary Doctors Hails Governor Over Implementation Of New Salary Scale

By AMINU DALHATU; Editing by BASIRAT MEMUDU The Nigerian Veterinary Medical Association…
Download FRCN Kaduna Hausa App