House of Representatives has on Tuesday asked Federal government to halt the take-off of the 774,000 special works programme scheduled to commence in January 2021.
It also asked the Ministry of Finance not to release funds meant for the programme until some issues that affects integrity of the programme are sorted out.
Adopting a motion sponsored by Hon. Olajide Olatubonsun, the House also condemned the sack of the Director General of the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), Mohammed Ladan Argungu and advised that he be reinstated immediately.
Contributing to the debate, Hon. Onofiok Luke said the decision of the government to sack the Director General of the NDE was ill advised.
He said there was the need to suspend the programme because there were silent issues which bother on the integrity of the legislature and the need to build institutions.
According to him, the programme initially supposed to take place in 2020, adding that since it had been shifted to 2021, there was the need to suspend its implementation until there is provision made for it in the 2021 budget.